Yeast is a living organism and is used in everyday life. What are the things that determine a living thing from a non-living thing? To make a fair test, questions must be posed and predictions made prior to testing the answers.
- Brainstorm ideas to find out if yeast is a living organism.
- Plan and initiate an experiment to test the hypothesis
- Discuss and understand the findings of the experiment
- Use a variety of digital and other equipment to complete the experiments.
SCIENCE EDUCATOR demonstrations
- Yeasts are living organisms and can be seen multiplying when given the correct food and conditions for growth.
- Observe yeast multiplying
- Plan an experiment to test the growth of yeast
- Use digital balances and stop watches to accurately conduct a fair experiment
- Observe which foods and in what amounts yeasts require for different growth rates
Yr F- 2 Living things have basic needs, including food and water ACSSU002
Yr F- 2 Pose and respond to questions, and make predictions about familiar objects and events ACSIS024
Yr F- 2 Participate in guided investigations to explore and answer questions ACSIS038
Yr 3-4 Living things grow, change and have offspring similar to themselves ACSSU0309
Living things have life cycles ACSSU072
Yr 3-4 With guidance, plan and conduct scientific investigations to find answers to questions, considering the safe use of appropriate materials and equipment
Yr 3-4 With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated scientifically and make predictions based on prior knowledge ACSIS065
Yr 5 -6 The growth and survival of living things are affected by physical conditions of their environment ACSSU094
Yr 5 -6 With guidance, pose clarifying questions and make predictions about scientific investigations ACSIS232
Yr 5 -6 Decide variables to be changed and measured in fair tests, and observe measure and record data with accuracy using digital technologies as appropriate ACSIS104
Yr F-2 Participate in guided investigations, including making observations using the senses, to explore and answer questions
Yr F-2 Living things have a variety of external features and live in different places where their basic needs, including food, water and shelter, are met
Yr 3-4 Questioning and Predicting VCSIS065
Planning and conducting VCSIS066
Yr 3-4 Different living things have different life cycles and depend on each other and the environment to survive VCSSU058
Yr 5-6 Questioning and Predicting VCSIS082
Planning and conducting VCSIS083