Mix and Match
What is a chemical? Explore mixtures and make observations between physical and chemical reactions. Learn about indicators and use them to make ‘magical’ changes.
- Observations about a fiery chemical reaction.
- Mixing household chemicals with indicators and note a range of reactions.
- Explore a chemical reaction using a gas.
- Discuss finding with fellow students.
- Interpret results.
SCIENCE EDUCATOR demonstrations
- Physical change. Using playdough.
- Chemical change. Spontaneous combustion
- A rainbow of colours. Mixing chemicals to make a rainbow
- Colour Magic -using an oxygen indicator.
POST WORKSHOP ACTIVITIES.
Foundation…Objects are made of materials that have observable properties. (ACSSU003)
Yr 1…Everyday materials can be physically changed in a variety of ways. (ACSSU018.)
Yr 2…Different materials can be combined for a particular purpose. (ACSSU031)
Foundation… Objects can be sorted into groups based on their properties and some objects can be mixed and changed. (VCSSU033)
Yr 1… Everyday materials can be physically changed or combined with other materials in a variety of ways for particular purposes. (VCSSU045)
Yr 2…Natural and processed materials have a range of physical properties; these properties can influence their use (VCSS60) A change of state between solid and liquid can be caused by adding or removing heat. (VCSSU059)