Method or Madness
What is the Scientific Method? What is fair testing? Why is it so important to use it when we are experimenting?
- Use the scientific method to design an experiment
- Using scientific equipment to complete the challenge
science educator demonstrations
- Disappearing water trick- Is it science or magic?
- Guide the students in the design of an experiment keeping
- Demonstrate variables and Constants.
- With guidance, design a series of experiments to see much water a given amount of Super absorbent polymer will hold
- Determine the best time intervals for the experiment to work and accurately measure the time
- Measure the quantity of superabsorbent polymer
science enquiry skills
Yr 3-4 – Science involves making predictions and describing patterns and relationships (ACSHE061)
With guidance, plan and conduct scientific investigations to find answers to questions, considering the safe use of appropriate materials and equipment (ACSIS053) (ACSIS065 )
Yr 5-6– With guidance, pose clarifying questions and make predictions about scientific investigations (ACSIS231) (ACSIS232)
Identify, plan and apply the elements of scientific investigations to answer questions and solve problems using equipment and materials safely and identifying potential risks (ACSIS086) (ACSIS103)
Yr 3-4 With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated scientifically and predict what might happen based on prior knowledge (VCSIS065)
Safely use appropriate materials, tools, equipment and technologies (VCSIS067)
Yr 5-6 With guidance, pose questions to clarify practical problems or inform a scientific investigation, and predict what the findings of an investigation might be based on previous experiences or general rules (VCSIS082)
Decide which variables should be changed, measured and controlled in fair tests and accurately observe, measure and record data (VCSIS084)
With guidance, plan appropriate investigation types to answer questions or solve problems and use equipment, technologies and materials safely, identifying potential risks (VCSIS083)